About Links Archive Thats My Cake Follow Me

December 21st….

December 21, 2007

I don’t know that I’ll ever forget December 21st last year.. I think it’s kind of funny that I actually remember the exact date. But I do..

About a month before that I had Riddick at the vet.. (I think for an ear infection.. or maybe just an update of his shots.. I don’t really remember all the details!) But the vet noted that one of his.. ummm.. well… “boy parts” had soft spots which she said can be signs of pre-cancerous cells. She told me she could could put him under and biopsy them, but she thought it would just be best if I had him neutered.

I really didn’t want to do that. I always wanted to breed him sometime so we could have another puppy.. But we hadn’t yet. She then said, “Well you can just take out one and then you still might be able to breed him.”

That was pretty silly to me, so after a little deliberating, we decided to have him neutered.

I chose Friday December 21st.. We would have the whole weekend to stay home with him then Monday was Christmas Eve and Tuesday was Christmas. He has 5 full days of us at home with him after his surgery. It was perfect… or we thought!!!!!

A few days before.. I got sick… Really sick.. Couldn’t breath, Couldn’t stop coughing, just gross sick. But I stuck it out.

That morning I woke up SUPER early to get Riddick to the vet by 7am. Much to my surprise, it had snowed.. A LOT! Over a foot that night. So me and Riddick headed out in the 4wd SUV. The vet was east of us, which meant there was more snow there then at our house, and there was a lovely hill that we had to make it up. When we got to the office, I couldn’t even tell where the driveway was. The snow was so deep. But I just powered over everything and parked. (probably on a flower bed.) Gave him kisses and handed him off.

We ended up only being 30 minutes late for work. But I was so sick that day I didn’t make it past 4… We both left early and went straight to pick up Riddick. He was pretty sad looking. But slept in my arms all the way home.

(we bought this diaper to keep on Riddick when we weren’t able to watch him during the day. It worked GREAT! I would highly recommend it. He could still get at his stitches if he tried really hard. But for the most part they stayed clean and dry..)
(p.s. he didn’t actually “use” the diaper, it was just to keep him from reaching the stitches.)

We got home, Aaron made us both a bed on a couch and I changed into my pajamas. The two of us curled up on the couch and just tried to sleep… It was at about 9pm that everything started spiralling downward.
(my bed and Riddick’s bed for the week. Actually I think I stayed here for weeks!! maybe 2 or 3. It took me a long time to get over that gunk.)
I couldn’t breathe.. at all. My face was red, I was gagging and chocking, I couldn’t talk to get Aaron’s attention to tell him I needed help. My eyes were filled with tears and I finally got his attention enough to tell him I had to get to the doctor NOW!
We couldn’t leave puppy alone, so Aaron walked me and Riddick down the stairs, basically carrying both of us. Loaded us in the car and off we headed at about 10pm.
We went to the closest urgent care that was open. Again, we couldn’t leave Riddick so Aaron stayed in the car with him. Feeling helpless.. he couldn’t be there for me.. and couldn’t do anything to make Riddick feel better.
My oxygen level was dangerously low and I was put immediately on oxygen. Then given 2 breathing treatments. The doctor decided I had a pretty bad case of Bronchitis and on top of that a case of viral asthma (which was super weird since I had never heard of viral asthma until the week before when my sisters little girl -2 states away- got it.)
(p.s. I actually have a cell phone picture of myself on oxygen and receiving a breathing treatment with a bright red oxygen deprived face, wearing stained pajamas.. and dirty smudged glasses. That I took when Aaron texted me to see how I was doing and I can’t find it anywhere.. so use your imagination….please….)
He sent me home with a prescription for some heavy duty drugs and an inhaler and some cough medicine with codine.
Over an hour later I was back in the car with Aaron and Riddick.
We headed to the store to fill the prescriptions.. again they waited in the car.. I felt so bad for Riddick. He has such a long day and was so sleepy from his surgery and here we were dragging him around with us…
When we got home it was LATE.. and sooo cold. The snow was still falling. Aaron carried both of us up the stairs only to find out the lock on our apartment was broken! There was no way in.
The key would go in the slot but wouldn’t turn (we had been having problems with it for awhile.)
Riddick and I sat on the stairs while he tried and tried and tried.. he finally sent us back to the car. While he continued to try to get it open.
About 20 minutes later, he came back. No luck… The 3 of us were stranded… sick.. tired.. and cold… I help puppy in my lap and just cried…
Aaron decided we needed to just go somewhere.. he drove us over to Target and went to see if he could find some sort of something to help him with the lock..
He didn’t……
So back we headed.. and again he tried.. and tried and tried…
Then again, he came back to the car to get warm. We said a million prayers.. and I finally broke down and called the complex so they could call a locksmith. They never called back.
With nothing to do.. we headed to his parents house to get some tools. What he was going to do with tools was any ones guess, but it made him feel better. His dad even gave us a new lock he had so we could change it once we got in…
Back home we headed…
The tools didn’t help..
I asked Aaron to let me try it just once.. I don’t know what I could do different and I knew it just wasn’t going to open. But I wanted to try…
I walked up to the door stuck the key in and it turned on the very first try…
Aaron gathered puppy up and inside we all went. We both took our medicine and headed to bed.
On what was one of the longest days EVER!!!!
When we woke up in the morning.. this is how I found puppy… (laying right next to me..)

(you may remember that from my “comfort items” post! It was puppy’s comfort item that day)
I told Aaron a few days later.. “You know this will probably be our last Christmas that it’s just the 2 of us.. and this isn’t the way I want to spend it.. I don’t want to be sick..”
SOOOOOOOOOOOO… if you are still with me you are probably wondering why in the middle of November I choose to bring up this day last year….
On my very first doctors appointment, she told me my due date was December 21st. “Great” I thought as I rolled my eyes.. “That’s all I need, Another December 21st like last years.”
As you know, we had A LOT of ultrasounds at the beginning of our pregnancy. Every ultrasound gave us a new due date.. but never one after December 21st. They were always earlier.
The earliest due date we got was December 13th. And we were told that due date twice!
So THAT is my due date. That is the day I locked in my head.
Come to find out.. The doctor still goes by the very first due date. I battle back and forth whether or not I want to change that due date in my mind.. I realllllllly realllllly don’t want to.
I can live with December 13th. December 21st is too far away! :)
But… I think I’ll officially change it.. since my doctor won’t! :)
So today I go from 34 weeks 6 day.. (soooo close to 35 weeks..) allllllllllllllllllllllllll the way back to 33 weeks 5 days.

I know.. I know.. it’s 8 days.. what’s the big deal???? But it is to me….

I usually just tell people “Anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas” Wishfully thinking it will be closer to Thanksgiving.
At the time of Thanksgiving I will “officially” be 37 weeks.
My goal is to have him the first.. or second week in December… Yea.. I think I’ll shoot for that! (Like I really have any say what so ever!)
So.. December 21st it officially is.. again….
33 weeks 5 days…. again…..
Can’t wait to meet you buddy..
But even more.. Daddy can’t wait.. so don’t make him… k?


  1. I can remember when we got Max fixed. He was just a puppy, but I felt so bad for him. And wow – what a day! I can’t believe everything you had to go through!

    My “official” due date is Jan 25th – it hasn’t changed at all, but I’m really hoping to have her a few weeks early. We’ll see if mind power works!

  2. Mixed Up Me says

    Oh goodness gracious! THat is really cutting it short for my visit. If he doesn’t come until then, I’m going to be completely useless for a week because he’ll need to be with you and Aaron for bonding. I may have to call and have a little talk with him.

  3. I think December 21st is absolutely the perfect timing……it will balance out the crap that happened last year so that December 21st will always be a positive day rather than a terrible memorable day.:-)

Speak Your Mind